Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Sugar Free Powdered Sugar??

Having a child with diabetes, I am always looking for "reduced sugar" or "sugar free" ideas when it comes to baking. Don't get me wrong, just because he has Type 1 Diabetes, doesn't mean he's not allowed sugar. He absolutely can! It's just a personal preference of mine to limit the amount of sugar he gets. It's healthier, mainly.

Anyway, I wanted to make some cookies today for the kids. The recipe called for "powdered sugar". So, of course, my line of thinking is... "Hm, can you make sugar free powdered sugar, I wonder?"

I hit up Google. Yep, one of my Best Friends LOL!

Here's what I found (on about.com)

  • 1 cup granulated Splenda (not the coffee packets or the brown sugar varieties)
  • 1 tsp cornstarch

Procedure:

Place the Splenda and the cornstarch in a mixer or food processor. Blend on high speed for approximately 1 minute, until the texture is similar to powdered sugar. You may need to scrape down the mixer or processor bowl several times in the process. Sugar can be stored in an airtight container for up to a month. Try dusting it on candies, tarts, or lemon bars.
Like with any sugar replacer, this is best used when you need the flavor of sugar but not necessarily the baking properties. Don't try to use Splenda-based granulated or powdered sugar in recipes where sugar is the main ingredient, or where the recipe depends on sugar to give it structure or caramelizing properties.

When I made it... it actually tasted just like the real stuff!

Try it out! You might be surprised! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print This Recipe!